On MSNBC’s Hardball With Chris Matthews Matthews’ yelling, yammering, leather-lung lug persona has been imitated so uncannily by ”Saturday Night Live”’s Darrell Hammond that the ”Hardball” host has dialed it down in recent months. Relishing his ”SNL” notoriety but also smart enough to know he’d become his own caricature, Matthews is currently engaging in some good, feisty debates with a wide range of guests. Election years bring out the best in Matthews, a former House aide and speech-writer who’s talented at explicating the motives of old-school politicians. He still does lame things like repeating the Howard Dean-screaming clip for the 4,000th time, but, like the good Catholic-school debater he was reared as, he also points out any illogic in anyone’s point of view.
HardballOn MSNBC's Hardball With Chris Matthews Matthews' yelling, yammering, leather-lung lug persona has been imitated so uncannily by ''Saturday Night...HardballOn MSNBC's Hardball With Chris Matthews Matthews' yelling, yammering, leather-lung lug persona has been imitated so uncannily by ''Saturday Night...2004-07-27
Starring: Chris Matthews; Broadcaster: MSNBC
Posted July 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!