On MSNBC’s Hardball With Chris Matthews Matthews’ yelling, yammering, leather-lung lug persona has been imitated so uncannily by ”Saturday Night Live”’s Darrell Hammond that the ”Hardball” host has dialed it down in recent months. Relishing his ”SNL” notoriety but also smart enough to know he’d become his own caricature, Matthews is currently engaging in some good, feisty debates with a wide range of guests. Election years bring out the best in Matthews, a former House aide and speech-writer who’s talented at explicating the motives of old-school politicians. He still does lame things like repeating the Howard Dean-screaming clip for the 4,000th time, but, like the good Catholic-school debater he was reared as, he also points out any illogic in anyone’s point of view.
HardballOn MSNBC's Hardball With Chris Matthews Matthews' yelling, yammering, leather-lung lug persona has been imitated so uncannily by ''Saturday Night...HardballOn MSNBC's Hardball With Chris Matthews Matthews' yelling, yammering, leather-lung lug persona has been imitated so uncannily by ''Saturday Night...2004-07-27
Starring: Chris Matthews; Broadcaster: MSNBC; Status: In Season
Posted July 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel