”Wiseguy” (1987 – 90) took the mold for crime shows and roughed it up – the series was the first to make its villains more colorful, and often more prominent, than its star. Ken Wahl’s performance as undercover agent Vinnie Terranova (even his surname translated as new territory for TV) was an underrated paradox – a modest tough guy. Wahl was willing to be heroic when the script called for it, but also willing to stand aside and let vividly eccentric villains portrayed by Kevin Spacey, the late Ray Sharkey, and Jerry Lewis take center camera. ”Wiseguy” used the multi-episode ”story arc” format better than any series – and was one of the first programs to do so. The show’s finest editions can now be seen on DVD (Unrated, 10 hrs. each, StudioWorks): three collections that include fascinatingly frank, ruefully funny commentaries by Wahl and similarly candid interviews with Stephen J. Cannell and David J. Burke.
Wiseguy: Season 1 Part 1 ''Wiseguy'' (1987 -- 90) took the mold for crime shows and roughed it up -- the series was the first to make its villains more colorful, and often...Wiseguy: Season 1 Part 1Unrated ''Wiseguy'' (1987 -- 90) took the mold for crime shows and roughed it up -- the series was the first to make its villains more colorful, and often...2004-07-30
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!