Don’t tell Adriana, but Steve Van Zandt is anything but a killer. In fact, the ”Sopranos” star and E Street Band guitarist has devoted much of his recent time to bringing his favorite music back from the dead. Garage rock, the grimy, three-chord sound embraced by artists from Bo Diddley to the Ramones, has made a return to the mainstream, thanks in part to ”Little Steven’s Underground Garage,” a syndicated radio show that has helped break the likes of Jet and the Hives. Now, Van Zandt is planning the mammoth International Underground Garage Festival, set for Aug. 14 on New York’s Randall’s Island and boasting more than three dozen bands, including Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Big Star, and the Strokes. Read on to find out which of those acts Van Zandt includes in his top-5 list, as told to EW.com senior writer Brian Hiatt.
(Little Steven Van Zandt: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com)
Posted August 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!