In the summer of 1970, a collection of rootsy musicians – The Band, the Grateful Dead, and others – spent a week traveling across Canada by train to do a series of concerts. Festival Express, which is basically a performance doc, features footage of the journey as well as interviews with the participants, who recall what transpired on that train as if it were the ultimate cosmic effusion of brother-and-sister good vibes. All we really see, however, is a bunch of skinny young musicians jamming in a jovial backstage way that wouldn’t be worth a second thought if it weren’t offered up as some sort of privileged end-of-the-’60s be-in. ”Festival Express” is a likable time capsule inflated with counterculture hot air. The best reason to see the movie is Janis Joplin, whose volcanic stage presence erupts right out of her dazed instability.
Festival Express In the summer of 1970, a collection of rootsy musicians -- The Band, the Grateful Dead, and others -- spent a week traveling across Canada by train to...Festival ExpressDocumentary, MusicalPT90MR In the summer of 1970, a collection of rootsy musicians -- The Band, the Grateful Dead, and others -- spent a week traveling across Canada by train to...2004-08-06THINKFilm
Genre: Documentary, Musical; Starring: Janis Joplin; Director: Bob Smeaton; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!