Attention, musicians: Mark your calendars now and start practicing your profanity-free acceptance speeches. On Thursday, the Recording Academy announced the date for the 2005 Grammys will be Feb. 13, with CBS broadcasting the ceremony (almost) live from Los Angeles’ Staples Center. Nominations for the 47th annual music awards gala will be announced Dec. 8. Academy chief Neil Portnow said in a statement that viewers should expect ”one of the most electrifying, exciting events in live television.” Of course, this year, much of the excitement took place offstage, in the behind-the-scenes negotiations over whether Janet Jackson would attend and apologize on the air for her Super Bowl fiasco that the network had aired days earlier. (She balked, but her striptease partner, Justin Timberlake, did come and apologize.) Also, CBS imposed a five-minute tape delay to prevent any similar embarrassments from enlivening the show. Nonetheless, viewers hoping for another wardrobe malfunction helped boost the 2004 show’s ratings to their best numbers in three years, averaging 26.3 million viewers. For the 2005 show, CBS is going out on a limb and daring to cut the tape delay to just 60 seconds. Edgy!
Posted August 6 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Woo says he won't make same epic mistake twice
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!