If Quentin Tarantino ever got to take a crack at the James Bond franchise as he’s been angling to do, chances are the resulting film would resemble one of Barry Eisler’s novels about Japanese-American CIA freelancer John Rain. Colorful dialogue far outweighs action – but when violence does erupt, it’s furious and creative. In the topically engrossing Rain Storm, the expert assassin gets caught in a power struggle between rival CIA factions. Despite an almost comical tendency to overprepare for every possible contingency, Rain is still a ruthlessly creative killer and – when he encounters an Israeli Mata Hari – a master of verbal seduction. Rain’s combination of quirks and proficiency is the stuff great characters are made of.
Rain Storm If Quentin Tarantino ever got to take a crack at the James Bond franchise as he's been angling to do, chances are the resulting film would resemble...Rain StormFictionBarry Eisler If Quentin Tarantino ever got to take a crack at the James Bond franchise as he's been angling to do, chances are the resulting film would resemble...2004-08-06
Genre: Fiction; Author: Barry Eisler
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!