When Starbucks tries to open another coffee shop – its 17th – within the pages of the Hardy Boys series, Thursday Next cracks down. She’s the literary detective keeping the peace in this fourth installment of Jasper Fforde’s hyper-imaginative sci-fi comedy series Something Rotten, set in an England where everybody is jumping in and out of books. Facing off against an evil ”escaped fictionaut” named Yorrick Kaine, Next must find a cloned Shakespeare, pronto (or else ”Hamlet” is lost forever), and help the good guys win a climactic match of a Quidditch-y game called SuperHoop (or else thermonuclear war ensues). Fforde has churned this quartet of books out at a clip – the first, ”The Eyre Affair,” hit in 2002 – and the essential one-jokeness of the premise is starting to show. But he compensates with enough furious daft invention to sate his cult fan base.
Something Rotten When Starbucks tries to open another coffee shop -- its 17th -- within the pages of the Hardy Boys series, Thursday Next cracks down. She's the...Something RottenFictionJasper Fforde When Starbucks tries to open another coffee shop -- its 17th -- within the pages of the Hardy Boys series, Thursday Next cracks down. She's the...2004-08-06
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jasper Fforde
Posted August 6 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Scott Van Pelt on new midnight 'SportsCenter'
- See an exclusive clip from bonkers Italian horror movie spoof 'The Editor'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star James Pickens Jr. joins Twitter
- Telluride Film Festival lineup announced
- Shonda Rhimes & Viola Davis look back on that 'angry black woman' piece
- Sienna Miller's role was cut from 'Black Mass'
- Phantogram's Sarah Barthel explains her rad guest spot on Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!