Like a grandnephew of Bertie Wooster, Charles Hythloday is a drunken, snobbish, twentysomething college dropout who’s alarmed to discover the letters from the bank that he’s been ignoring portend an imminent seizure of his family’s beloved Irish mansion. His reluctant plunge into the working world is, naturally, fraught. ”So in short,” a corporate recruiter tells him, ”it’s fair to say you’ve never worked for a living, is that right?” For a while, the deliberately absurd plotting and Charles’ droll narration wring smiles. (The book’s title An Evening Of Long Goodbyes comes from an oddly named dog-track competitor.) But this shaggy-greyhound story by Paul Murray, can’t quite sustain 424 pages – let alone a stab at earnestness toward the end.
An Evening of Long Goodbyes Like a grandnephew of Bertie Wooster, Charles Hythloday is a drunken, snobbish, twentysomething college dropout who's alarmed to discover the letters...An Evening of Long GoodbyesFictionPaul Murray Like a grandnephew of Bertie Wooster, Charles Hythloday is a drunken, snobbish, twentysomething college dropout who's alarmed to discover the letters...2004-08-13
Genre: Fiction; Author: Paul Murray
Posted August 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!