Like a grandnephew of Bertie Wooster, Charles Hythloday is a drunken, snobbish, twentysomething college dropout who’s alarmed to discover the letters from the bank that he’s been ignoring portend an imminent seizure of his family’s beloved Irish mansion. His reluctant plunge into the working world is, naturally, fraught. ”So in short,” a corporate recruiter tells him, ”it’s fair to say you’ve never worked for a living, is that right?” For a while, the deliberately absurd plotting and Charles’ droll narration wring smiles. (The book’s title An Evening Of Long Goodbyes comes from an oddly named dog-track competitor.) But this shaggy-greyhound story by Paul Murray, can’t quite sustain 424 pages – let alone a stab at earnestness toward the end.
An Evening of Long Goodbyes Like a grandnephew of Bertie Wooster, Charles Hythloday is a drunken, snobbish, twentysomething college dropout who's alarmed to discover the letters...An Evening of Long GoodbyesFictionPaul Murray Like a grandnephew of Bertie Wooster, Charles Hythloday is a drunken, snobbish, twentysomething college dropout who's alarmed to discover the letters...2004-08-13
Genre: Fiction; Author: Paul Murray
Posted August 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Cosby Show' producer says series is 'kind of tarnished'
- Helen Mirren poses with three wax figures of herself at Madame Tussauds
- I found out 'Silk Stalkings' was on Hulu and now I can't stop watching
- Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford's 'Truth' gets October release date
- Salma Hayek on Donald Trump: 'I cannot be insulted by stupidity'
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'This Is Me': Watch the Emmy-nominated docuseries right here
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!