On page 265 of Deborah Jowitt’s exhaustive, exhausting bio, she writes: ”When you mention the name of Jerome Robbins to people not deeply attuned to dance or theater, an unspoken question sometimes hangs in the air. Then you say, ‘West Side Story.’ [And] they understand that he was important.” Jowitt clearly isn’t writing for the not deeply attuned, but even committed terpsichoreans may find her book a dry, dutiful trudge through the life of America’s most electrifying and infuriating 20th-century choreographer. She drones too often in analysis of Jerome Robbins’ aesthetic and treads too delicately in the tabloid rough of his life (his name-naming before HUAC, his affair with Montgomery Clift).
Jerome Robbins On page 265 of Deborah Jowitt's exhaustive, exhausting bio, she writes: ''When you mention the name of Jerome Robbins to people not deeply attuned to...Jerome RobbinsBiographyDeborah Jowitt On page 265 of Deborah Jowitt's exhaustive, exhausting bio, she writes: ''When you mention the name of Jerome Robbins to people not deeply attuned to...2004-08-13
Genre: Biography; Author: Deborah Jowitt
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!