In 1979, a bright-eyed Jewish girl looked out the window of her new home in Tehran and saw the words ”Jews get lost!” graffitied on the wall across the way. Five years later, in the midst of the Islamic revolution, Hakakian and her family did indeed ”get lost” – moving to America. Now the ”60 Minutes” producer-turned-documentary filmmaker liberates her past by poignantly and delicately recounting the harrowing moments of a childhood burdened by religious persecution, censorship, and political strife. (In particular, the final, gut-wrenching ”It’s time we leave for America” scene illustrates the author’s graceful, poetic style.) Roya Hakakian successfully blends an adult’s ripened awareness with a child’s naive optimism to make this Journey From The Land Of No well worth taking.
Journey from the Land of No In 1979, a bright-eyed Jewish girl looked out the window of her new home in Tehran and saw the words ''Jews get lost!'' graffitied on the wall across...Journey from the Land of NoRoya Hakakian In 1979, a bright-eyed Jewish girl looked out the window of her new home in Tehran and saw the words ''Jews get lost!'' graffitied on the wall across...2004-08-13
Author: Roya Hakakian
Posted August 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- Joe Biden calls out Donald Trump's 'malarkey' in blistering speech
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels