”According to one of my songs, I’m a charming and dangerous guy!” says Robyn Hitchcock. So it shouldn’t be a total surprise that the alt-rocker known for such gleefully loony ’80s tunes as ”Balloon Man” plays Laurent, a silver-haired ”British creep” in ”The Manchurian Candidate.” Director Jonathan Demme helmed Hitchcock’s 1998 concert film ”Storefront Hitchcock” and called him to audition. (Demme also cast R&B singer BeBe Winans as a government agent.) Hitchcock’s open to more movie gigs, but says the parts are limited: ”Brits tend to be uncles, butlers, and villains,” he says. ”We’re either very wise and reassuring, or slightly gay. I don’t know why.”
Posted August 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jurassic World' dino Indominus Rex: Director Colin Trevorrow tells us what we want to know
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with new single 'Trust You,' shares details of new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!