In Alabama, where the late coach Paul ”Bear” Bryant is still revered like a god, gridiron fans occasionally go overboard. To understand why, ‘Bama native and New York Times reporter Warren St. John buys a bottom-barrel motor home and rambles across the Southeast for a season alongside fellow University of Alabama devotees. While he tosses in some well-trod theories on the roots of fandom, Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer,real draw is the motley mix of characters he encounters: the 83-year-old gent who attended 500 consecutive games, the husband who had his wife drugged with Demerol after a gallbladder attack in order to make the Alabama – Ohio State matchup, and the couple who skipped their daughter’s wedding for a game. Through them, we see the thin line between team allegiance and utter insanity.
Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer In Alabama, where the late coach Paul ''Bear'' Bryant is still revered like a god, gridiron fans occasionally go overboard. To understand why, 'Bama...Rammer Jammer Yellow HammerNonfictionWarren St. John In Alabama, where the late coach Paul ''Bear'' Bryant is still revered like a god, gridiron fans occasionally go overboard. To understand why, 'Bama...2004-08-13
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Warren St. John
Posted August 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Marvel's Jessica Jones is 'incredibly flawed'
- Want to buy Jesse's 'Breaking Bad' house?
- 'Outlander' exclusive: King Louis XV cast for season 2
- Matthew Broderick joins Broadway's dog play, Sylvia
- Hunter S. Thompson talks outlaws and Hell's Angels in new 'Blank on Blank' clip
- Get a first look at NBC’s new thriller 'Blindspot'
- Little Mix give Whitney Houston and Jason Derulo an awesome gospel-style mash up
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!