In Alabama, where the late coach Paul ”Bear” Bryant is still revered like a god, gridiron fans occasionally go overboard. To understand why, ‘Bama native and New York Times reporter Warren St. John buys a bottom-barrel motor home and rambles across the Southeast for a season alongside fellow University of Alabama devotees. While he tosses in some well-trod theories on the roots of fandom, Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer,real draw is the motley mix of characters he encounters: the 83-year-old gent who attended 500 consecutive games, the husband who had his wife drugged with Demerol after a gallbladder attack in order to make the Alabama – Ohio State matchup, and the couple who skipped their daughter’s wedding for a game. Through them, we see the thin line between team allegiance and utter insanity.
Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer In Alabama, where the late coach Paul ''Bear'' Bryant is still revered like a god, gridiron fans occasionally go overboard. To understand why, 'Bama...Rammer Jammer Yellow HammerNonfictionWarren St. John In Alabama, where the late coach Paul ''Bear'' Bryant is still revered like a god, gridiron fans occasionally go overboard. To understand why, 'Bama...2004-08-13
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Warren St. John; Status: In Season
Posted August 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!