Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called Prince – a man with three feature films being released on DVD. The most notable, of course, is a new two-disc special edition of Purple Rain, showcasing the performer at the height of his creative and commercial success. The story may be somewhat threadbare (yet still fresh enough for Eminem to rip off liberally in ”8 Mile”), and the makeup and wardrobe selections a bit on the ridiculous side (what’s with all the ruffles?), but the performances are nothing short of magical. (C’mon, tell me you don’t get all choked up at the end of ”The Beautiful Ones.”) And Morris Day provides the perfect comedic foil for The Kid. As far as the extras go, they’re as good as one could expect without the direct involvement of His Purpleness: Revolution band members share memories, Eddie Murphy struts around half naked at the 1984 MTV premiere party, and we learn from director Albert Magnoli that ”When Doves Cry” was actually a last-minute addition to the film. (Hey, nice save, Magnoli!)
(Purple Rain: Everett Collection)
Posted August 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday