Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called Prince – a man with three feature films being released on DVD. The most notable, of course, is a new two-disc special edition of Purple Rain, showcasing the performer at the height of his creative and commercial success. The story may be somewhat threadbare (yet still fresh enough for Eminem to rip off liberally in ”8 Mile”), and the makeup and wardrobe selections a bit on the ridiculous side (what’s with all the ruffles?), but the performances are nothing short of magical. (C’mon, tell me you don’t get all choked up at the end of ”The Beautiful Ones.”) And Morris Day provides the perfect comedic foil for The Kid. As far as the extras go, they’re as good as one could expect without the direct involvement of His Purpleness: Revolution band members share memories, Eddie Murphy struts around half naked at the 1984 MTV premiere party, and we learn from director Albert Magnoli that ”When Doves Cry” was actually a last-minute addition to the film. (Hey, nice save, Magnoli!)
(Purple Rain: Everett Collection)
Posted August 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cannes 2015: Jacques Audiard's 'Dheepan' wins the Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!