Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called Prince – a man with three feature films being released on DVD. The most notable, of course, is a new two-disc special edition of Purple Rain, showcasing the performer at the height of his creative and commercial success. The story may be somewhat threadbare (yet still fresh enough for Eminem to rip off liberally in ”8 Mile”), and the makeup and wardrobe selections a bit on the ridiculous side (what’s with all the ruffles?), but the performances are nothing short of magical. (C’mon, tell me you don’t get all choked up at the end of ”The Beautiful Ones.”) And Morris Day provides the perfect comedic foil for The Kid. As far as the extras go, they’re as good as one could expect without the direct involvement of His Purpleness: Revolution band members share memories, Eddie Murphy struts around half naked at the 1984 MTV premiere party, and we learn from director Albert Magnoli that ”When Doves Cry” was actually a last-minute addition to the film. (Hey, nice save, Magnoli!)
(Purple Rain: Everett Collection)
Posted August 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Britney Spears recreates 'Oops' cover with kids
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!