Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called Prince – a man with three feature films being released on DVD. The most notable, of course, is a new two-disc special edition of Purple Rain, showcasing the performer at the height of his creative and commercial success. The story may be somewhat threadbare (yet still fresh enough for Eminem to rip off liberally in ”8 Mile”), and the makeup and wardrobe selections a bit on the ridiculous side (what’s with all the ruffles?), but the performances are nothing short of magical. (C’mon, tell me you don’t get all choked up at the end of ”The Beautiful Ones.”) And Morris Day provides the perfect comedic foil for The Kid. As far as the extras go, they’re as good as one could expect without the direct involvement of His Purpleness: Revolution band members share memories, Eddie Murphy struts around half naked at the 1984 MTV premiere party, and we learn from director Albert Magnoli that ”When Doves Cry” was actually a last-minute addition to the film. (Hey, nice save, Magnoli!)
(Purple Rain: Everett Collection)
Posted August 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!