Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called Prince – a man with three feature films being released on DVD. The most notable, of course, is a new two-disc special edition of Purple Rain, showcasing the performer at the height of his creative and commercial success. The story may be somewhat threadbare (yet still fresh enough for Eminem to rip off liberally in ”8 Mile”), and the makeup and wardrobe selections a bit on the ridiculous side (what’s with all the ruffles?), but the performances are nothing short of magical. (C’mon, tell me you don’t get all choked up at the end of ”The Beautiful Ones.”) And Morris Day provides the perfect comedic foil for The Kid. As far as the extras go, they’re as good as one could expect without the direct involvement of His Purpleness: Revolution band members share memories, Eddie Murphy struts around half naked at the 1984 MTV premiere party, and we learn from director Albert Magnoli that ”When Doves Cry” was actually a last-minute addition to the film. (Hey, nice save, Magnoli!)
(Purple Rain: Everett Collection)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!