Gonzo, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore. According to the Hollywood Reporter, ABC is planning to team the Muppets with some currently hot human stars for a TV movie tentatively titled, ”The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz.” In this retelling, Dorothy will be played by Ashanti. The R&B warbler will dream of escaping the Kansas diner run by Auntie Em, a role in which the producers are in talks to cast Queen Latifah. Landing in Oz, Ashanti will befriend the Scarecrow (Kermit the Frog), the Tin Man (Gonzo), and the Cowardly Lion (Fozzie Bear). She’ll ultimately battle the Wicked Witch of the West (Miss Piggy), but before she does, Quentin Tarantino will appear as himself and attempt to choreograph the fight scene. (Yep, you read that right.) We’re guessing he’ll try to dress Ashanti in a yellow jogging suit and arm her with a samurai sword to take on a legion of ninja-trained flying monkeys. Hey, at least Miss Piggy already knows karate.
(Ashanti: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com)
Posted August 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Beach House announce surprise sixth album, due next week
- The 'Sherlock' Christmas special trailer is here!
- 'Old Yeller' actor Kevin Corcoran dies at 66
- Lance Bass says someone 'inappropriately' touched him during early *NSYNC days
- Tom Petty addresses past heroin addiction in new biography
- 'Chicago Med' adds 'Alias' alum
- Introducing Spot, EW's new commenting platform