Gonzo, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore. According to the Hollywood Reporter, ABC is planning to team the Muppets with some currently hot human stars for a TV movie tentatively titled, ”The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz.” In this retelling, Dorothy will be played by Ashanti. The R&B warbler will dream of escaping the Kansas diner run by Auntie Em, a role in which the producers are in talks to cast Queen Latifah. Landing in Oz, Ashanti will befriend the Scarecrow (Kermit the Frog), the Tin Man (Gonzo), and the Cowardly Lion (Fozzie Bear). She’ll ultimately battle the Wicked Witch of the West (Miss Piggy), but before she does, Quentin Tarantino will appear as himself and attempt to choreograph the fight scene. (Yep, you read that right.) We’re guessing he’ll try to dress Ashanti in a yellow jogging suit and arm her with a samurai sword to take on a legion of ninja-trained flying monkeys. Hey, at least Miss Piggy already knows karate.
(Ashanti: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com)
Posted August 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- Kim Kardashian West is Wonder Woman in Halloween throwback photo
- 'The Flash': Meet the new Harrison Wells
- '24: Legacy' drops new trailer during World Series
- Ice Cube developing modern-day 'Oliver Twist' musical at Disney
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop