Gonzo, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore. According to the Hollywood Reporter, ABC is planning to team the Muppets with some currently hot human stars for a TV movie tentatively titled, ”The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz.” In this retelling, Dorothy will be played by Ashanti. The R&B warbler will dream of escaping the Kansas diner run by Auntie Em, a role in which the producers are in talks to cast Queen Latifah. Landing in Oz, Ashanti will befriend the Scarecrow (Kermit the Frog), the Tin Man (Gonzo), and the Cowardly Lion (Fozzie Bear). She’ll ultimately battle the Wicked Witch of the West (Miss Piggy), but before she does, Quentin Tarantino will appear as himself and attempt to choreograph the fight scene. (Yep, you read that right.) We’re guessing he’ll try to dress Ashanti in a yellow jogging suit and arm her with a samurai sword to take on a legion of ninja-trained flying monkeys. Hey, at least Miss Piggy already knows karate.
(Ashanti: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com)
Posted August 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!