Without a Paddle sets three childhood pals – Jerry (Matthew Lillard), Dan (Seth Green), and Tom (Dax Shepard), each developmentally delayed in his own special way – on a woodsy, ”Goonies”-esque treasure hunt to manhood. They make the usual pit stops (har-har homoeroticism, bears), but the boys’ relaxed buddy dynamic lifts the charm quotient above average. There are some genuinely clever moments of physical comedy, and the inevitable crudeness is offset by winning whimsy. Without has all the freshness of moldering Playboys stashed under a mattress, but it evokes what few boys-will-be-boys larks can: chumminess.
(Without a Paddle: Simon Cardwell)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seth Green, Matthew Lillard, Rachel Blanchard, Christina Moore, Burt Reynolds; Director: Steven Brill; Author: Harris Goldberg, Jay Leggett; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game