Without a Paddle sets three childhood pals – Jerry (Matthew Lillard), Dan (Seth Green), and Tom (Dax Shepard), each developmentally delayed in his own special way – on a woodsy, ”Goonies”-esque treasure hunt to manhood. They make the usual pit stops (har-har homoeroticism, bears), but the boys’ relaxed buddy dynamic lifts the charm quotient above average. There are some genuinely clever moments of physical comedy, and the inevitable crudeness is offset by winning whimsy. Without has all the freshness of moldering Playboys stashed under a mattress, but it evokes what few boys-will-be-boys larks can: chumminess.
(Without a Paddle: Simon Cardwell)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seth Green, Matthew Lillard, Rachel Blanchard, Christina Moore, Burt Reynolds; Director: Steven Brill; Author: Harris Goldberg, Jay Leggett; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!