Without a Paddle sets three childhood pals – Jerry (Matthew Lillard), Dan (Seth Green), and Tom (Dax Shepard), each developmentally delayed in his own special way – on a woodsy, ”Goonies”-esque treasure hunt to manhood. They make the usual pit stops (har-har homoeroticism, bears), but the boys’ relaxed buddy dynamic lifts the charm quotient above average. There are some genuinely clever moments of physical comedy, and the inevitable crudeness is offset by winning whimsy. Without has all the freshness of moldering Playboys stashed under a mattress, but it evokes what few boys-will-be-boys larks can: chumminess.
(Without a Paddle: Simon Cardwell)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seth Green, Matthew Lillard, Rachel Blanchard, Christina Moore, Burt Reynolds; Director: Steven Brill; Author: Harris Goldberg, Jay Leggett; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2004; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season
Posted August 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters