Without a Paddle sets three childhood pals – Jerry (Matthew Lillard), Dan (Seth Green), and Tom (Dax Shepard), each developmentally delayed in his own special way – on a woodsy, ”Goonies”-esque treasure hunt to manhood. They make the usual pit stops (har-har homoeroticism, bears), but the boys’ relaxed buddy dynamic lifts the charm quotient above average. There are some genuinely clever moments of physical comedy, and the inevitable crudeness is offset by winning whimsy. Without has all the freshness of moldering Playboys stashed under a mattress, but it evokes what few boys-will-be-boys larks can: chumminess.
(Without a Paddle: Simon Cardwell)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seth Green, Matthew Lillard, Rachel Blanchard, Christina Moore, Burt Reynolds; Director: Steven Brill; Author: Harris Goldberg, Jay Leggett; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst breaks down the merge episode
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': Mystery roles for Julie Delpy and Linda Cardellini
- 'The Americans' bosses on Paige, her future, and the endgame after (spoiler!)
- Casting Net: Anna Kendrick joins Zac Efron in 'Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates'
- Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig in Lifetime movie (no, really!)
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch