Without a Paddle sets three childhood pals – Jerry (Matthew Lillard), Dan (Seth Green), and Tom (Dax Shepard), each developmentally delayed in his own special way – on a woodsy, ”Goonies”-esque treasure hunt to manhood. They make the usual pit stops (har-har homoeroticism, bears), but the boys’ relaxed buddy dynamic lifts the charm quotient above average. There are some genuinely clever moments of physical comedy, and the inevitable crudeness is offset by winning whimsy. Without has all the freshness of moldering Playboys stashed under a mattress, but it evokes what few boys-will-be-boys larks can: chumminess.
(Without a Paddle: Simon Cardwell)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Seth Green, Matthew Lillard, Rachel Blanchard, Christina Moore, Burt Reynolds; Director: Steven Brill; Author: Harris Goldberg, Jay Leggett; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What's expiring on Netflix in September
- Neve Campbell 'devastated' by Wes Craven's death
- 'Faking It' boss previews season 2B: New faces, dynamics, and that upcoming Karmy kiss
- Andy Grammer joins 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Liam Hemsworth to guest star on ABC's 'The Muppets'
- The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde criticized for victim-blaming comments
- Wes Craven's in-development TV projects will continue 'in his honor and spirit'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!