Jill Scott, Philly soul’s premier vocal stylist, mostly sticks to the jazzy script of her smash debut, 2000’s ”Words and Sounds Vol. 1,” again offering a cohesive collection of slow-burning love grooves and self-empowerment anthems. But Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2 also features more nods to far-flung influences like Sarah Vaughan and Minnie Riperton, showcasing Scott’s nimble fluency in dynamics. She’s as comfortable sighing like a muted horn as she is wailing in big-band fashion – though it’s the infusion of tenderness in her homespun tales that seals the CD’s lasting appeal. Take ”Family Reunion,” a fairly uneventful ’70s R&B loop that ultimately proves itself a quiet charmer thanks to Scott’s detailed family snapshot of rumbling cousins, a drink-happy aunt, delicious green potato salad, and Frankie Beverly blasting from the stereo. With such sumptuous incantations, Scott is less singer-songwriter than sorceress.
Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2Jill Scott, Philly soul's premier vocal stylist, mostly sticks to the jazzy script of her smash debut, 2000's ''Words and Sounds Vol. 1,'' again offering...Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2R&BJill Scott, Philly soul's premier vocal stylist, mostly sticks to the jazzy script of her smash debut, 2000's ''Words and Sounds Vol. 1,'' again offering...2004-09-03
(Jill Scott: Keith Major)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Jill Scott; Producer (group): Hidden Beach
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Jason Segel's 'Nightmares!' sequel: Read an excerpt
- Archie Panjabi on Kalinda-Alicia 'Good Wife' goodbye
- Sam Shepard arrested on drunk driving charges
- Ransom Riggs talks 'Library of Souls,' reveals cover art
- Joni Mitchell discusses fame in unearthed 1986 interview
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!