Jill Scott, Philly soul’s premier vocal stylist, mostly sticks to the jazzy script of her smash debut, 2000’s ”Words and Sounds Vol. 1,” again offering a cohesive collection of slow-burning love grooves and self-empowerment anthems. But Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2 also features more nods to far-flung influences like Sarah Vaughan and Minnie Riperton, showcasing Scott’s nimble fluency in dynamics. She’s as comfortable sighing like a muted horn as she is wailing in big-band fashion – though it’s the infusion of tenderness in her homespun tales that seals the CD’s lasting appeal. Take ”Family Reunion,” a fairly uneventful ’70s R&B loop that ultimately proves itself a quiet charmer thanks to Scott’s detailed family snapshot of rumbling cousins, a drink-happy aunt, delicious green potato salad, and Frankie Beverly blasting from the stereo. With such sumptuous incantations, Scott is less singer-songwriter than sorceress.
Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2Jill Scott, Philly soul's premier vocal stylist, mostly sticks to the jazzy script of her smash debut, 2000's ''Words and Sounds Vol. 1,'' again offering...Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2R&BJill Scott, Philly soul's premier vocal stylist, mostly sticks to the jazzy script of her smash debut, 2000's ''Words and Sounds Vol. 1,'' again offering...2004-09-03
(Jill Scott: Keith Major)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Jill Scott; Producer (group): Hidden Beach
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!