They revitalized Broadway with ”The Producers,” and now Nathan Lane and director-choreographer Susan Stroman have set out to save the world. In this 1974 Stephen Sondheim musical, Greek god of drama Dionysus attempts to give people hope in a chaotic time by reviving a dead poet. It’s a conceit that allows for trenchant election-year satire, so too bad this is nothing more than a giant, sloppy egofest. As Dionysus, the ham-hugging Lane spends two largely self-scripted hours shtinking it up so badly that the heroic efforts of costars Roger Bart and Peter Bartlett go unnoticed. Worse, thanks to the veritable Cirque du Soleil Stroman’s whipped up, most of Sondheim’s belovedly complicated lyrics are lost as well. The Frogs is a Greek tragedy all right.
The Frogs They revitalized Broadway with ''The Producers,'' and now Nathan Lane and director-choreographer Susan Stroman have set out to save the world. In this...The FrogsStephen Sondheim They revitalized Broadway with ''The Producers,'' and now Nathan Lane and director-choreographer Susan Stroman have set out to save the world. In this...2004-09-03Roger BartPeter Bartlett
Starring: Nathan Lane; Starring: Roger Bart, Peter Bartlett; Director: Susan Stroman; Author: Stephen Sondheim
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- See T-Pain sing the national anthem at a Dodgers game
- Sam Smith loves Hozier's cover of 'Lay Me Down'
- David Tennant helps remix Shakespeare with hip-hop in app
- Saoirse Ronan struggles with homesickness in the first clip from 'Brooklyn'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!