In Ozick’s lovely, smart, and muddled sixth novel,Heir to the Glimmering World, Rose, an 18-year-old bookworm in Albany, N.Y., takes a job with the Mitwissers, a mysterious family of German refugees who just barely escaped the Nazis. Her duties are vague, and Rose ends up serving as nanny to the Mitwissers’ neglected toddler, nurse to the unbalanced mother, and secretary to the father, a renowned scholar of an obscure religious sect. The Mitwissers, Rose learns, have been living off the largesse of James A’Bair, a dangerously seductive figure who has insinuated himself into their household. As a boy, James was immortalized by his father in a series of classic children’s books, and has spent his life spending the fortune they made and trying to repair the damage they did to his psyche. While every strand of this hugely ambitious novel is strange and original, Ozick never quite manages to pull them all together.
Heir to the Glimmering World In Ozick's lovely, smart, and muddled sixth novel,Heir to the Glimmering World, Rose, an 18-year-old bookworm in Albany, N.Y., takes a job with...Heir to the Glimmering WorldFictionCynthia Ozick In Ozick's lovely, smart, and muddled sixth novel,Heir to the Glimmering World, Rose, an 18-year-old bookworm in Albany, N.Y., takes a job with...2004-09-03Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Cynthia Ozick; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!