In Ozick’s lovely, smart, and muddled sixth novel,Heir to the Glimmering World, Rose, an 18-year-old bookworm in Albany, N.Y., takes a job with the Mitwissers, a mysterious family of German refugees who just barely escaped the Nazis. Her duties are vague, and Rose ends up serving as nanny to the Mitwissers’ neglected toddler, nurse to the unbalanced mother, and secretary to the father, a renowned scholar of an obscure religious sect. The Mitwissers, Rose learns, have been living off the largesse of James A’Bair, a dangerously seductive figure who has insinuated himself into their household. As a boy, James was immortalized by his father in a series of classic children’s books, and has spent his life spending the fortune they made and trying to repair the damage they did to his psyche. While every strand of this hugely ambitious novel is strange and original, Ozick never quite manages to pull them all together.
Heir to the Glimmering World In Ozick's lovely, smart, and muddled sixth novel,Heir to the Glimmering World, Rose, an 18-year-old bookworm in Albany, N.Y., takes a job with...Heir to the Glimmering WorldFictionCynthia Ozick In Ozick's lovely, smart, and muddled sixth novel,Heir to the Glimmering World, Rose, an 18-year-old bookworm in Albany, N.Y., takes a job with...2004-09-03Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Cynthia Ozick; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- The first trailer for Season 11 of 'The Bachelorette' is here
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty
- 'Pan' release pushed to October from July
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!