Designed by the great sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, the $20 gold piece (or double eagle) minted between 1907 and 1933 is widely considered to be the most beautiful coin ever produced in the U.S. It is undoubtedly the most storied: A double eagle, struck in 1933, fetched more than $7.5 million at an auction a few years ago. But what is most remarkable about that particular coin is not its incredible origins (all but three of the 445,000 double eagles made in 1933 were seized by federal agents) or its mysterious fate (the buyer remains unknown), but its incredible journey in between: a globe-spanning trail of intrigue and deceit that ended with a Secret Service sting in a suite at New York’s Waldorf-Astoria. Tripp, a trained archaeologist and an expert on rare coins, draws on both skills in his first book Illegal Tender: His meticulous research adds a stamp of authenticity to what unspools like a Hollywood blockbuster.
Illegal Tender Designed by the great sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, the $20 gold piece (or double eagle) minted between 1907 and 1933 is widely considered to be...Illegal TenderHistory, NonfictionDavid Tripp Designed by the great sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, the $20 gold piece (or double eagle) minted between 1907 and 1933 is widely considered to be...2004-09-03The Free Press
Genre: History, Nonfiction; Author: David Tripp; Publisher: The Free Press
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- Everything you need to know about the 2015 MTV VMAs
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!