Through seven CDs, Kate Campbell has been something of a musical Eudora Welty, chronicling Southern life with an eye for illuminating detail and a knack for creating memorable, sometimes wacky characters. On these two releases, she revisits 30 tunes from her catalog, breathing new life into oughta-be classics like The Portable Kate Campbell’s elegiac ”Moonpie Dreams” and Sing Me Out’s wry ”Jesus & Tomatoes,” in which Campbell bribes the Almighty’s lawyer with a BLT sandwich. Take your pick?either collection serves as a tempting appetizer to a literate songsmith who’s as satisfying as barbecue and sweet tea. Portable: A Sing: B+
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!