Through seven CDs, Kate Campbell has been something of a musical Eudora Welty, chronicling Southern life with an eye for illuminating detail and a knack for creating memorable, sometimes wacky characters. On these two releases, she revisits 30 tunes from her catalog, breathing new life into oughta-be classics like The Portable Kate Campbell’s elegiac ”Moonpie Dreams” and Sing Me Out’s wry ”Jesus & Tomatoes,” in which Campbell bribes the Almighty’s lawyer with a BLT sandwich. Take your pick?either collection serves as a tempting appetizer to a literate songsmith who’s as satisfying as barbecue and sweet tea. Portable: A Sing: B+
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!