Yes, there’s the drinking and the women, but did you know about the sensitive side of Joe Namath? Kriegel’s biography of the New York Jets quarterback gives us a bit of that – see Broadway Joe’s 1997 performance in Chekhov’s ”The Seagull” – but it’s the juicy tidbits of Namath’s early years that carry the book. His boasts of bedding 300 women while at college in Alabama, spilling drinks on Sinatra, guaranteeing wins, and quelling Harlem riots – the kinds of things legends are made of. Unfortunately, such riveting incidents are long coming, as the book follows an all-too-familiar course, from cocky young phenom to broken-down shiller of topical analgesic to divorcé spinning into alcoholic solace. Thick on football minutiae, Namath should appeal to sports fans of a certain age and to all those older women who once fell in love with Joe. Look at that cover photo – how could they not?
Namath Yes, there's the drinking and the women, but did you know about the sensitive side of Joe Namath? Kriegel's biography of the New York Jets quarterback...NamathNonfiction, BiographyMark Kriegel Yes, there's the drinking and the women, but did you know about the sensitive side of Joe Namath? Kriegel's biography of the New York Jets quarterback...2004-09-03Viking
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Mark Kriegel; Publisher: Viking
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Jason Segel's 'Nightmares!' sequel: Read an excerpt
- Archie Panjabi on Kalinda-Alicia 'Good Wife' goodbye
- Sam Shepard arrested on drunk driving charges
- Ransom Riggs talks 'Library of Souls,' reveals cover art
- Joni Mitchell discusses fame in unearthed 1986 interview
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!