With those red-string kabbalah bracelets so played out (even Lindsay Lohan?s sporting one), spiritual-minded fashionistas are donning Brazilian escapularios – necklaces with images of Jesus, the Virgin Mary, and Catholic saints. Gisele Bündchen and Rodrigo Santoro (”Love Actually”) have snapped up the good-luck charms, which graduated from church-lady-smart to hip with surfers and devotees of the Brazilian martial art capoeira. ”They offer protection from evil,” says NYC-based Andre Méllo, who sells the amulets at lovecapoeira.com. ”Legend says that if you wear one when you die, your soul won?t go to hell.” You listening, Madonna?
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Creators Robert and Michelle King talk 'The Good Wife' return
- Mad Max collector's edition Blu-ray: Exclusive release details
- Missy Elliott and Pharrell are in the studio together
- See Eddie Redmayne in his next big role as Lili Elbe in The Danish Girl
- Carlton Cuse looks back on his long and unique career
- Kanye apology to Beck, Bruno Mars
- Carly Rae Jepsen returns with 'I Really Like You'--and Tom Hanks?!
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!