The plural form of Nightingale is key to the innovation of this marvelous and engrossing study. By twining the story of Florence (the famous 19th-century health-care reformer) with that of her daunting parents, neurasthenic older sister, and extended network of formidably spiky relatives, Gillian Gill in Nightingales does more than offer a fresh biography of the lady called the Bird by the soldiers she nursed in the Crimea; she also creates a dynamic snapshot of (privileged) Victorian society. The author’s digressions are as valuable as the through line of her premise: that in resisting the blandishments of a ”good” marriage match, Nightingale instinctively saved herself from a kind of incarceration of the soul. And that the price was so great that FN took to her room in her late 30s, soul intact, for 50 years.
Nightingales The plural form of Nightingale is key to the innovation of this marvelous and engrossing study. By twining the story of Florence (the famous 19th...NightingalesNonfiction, BiographyGillian Gill The plural form of Nightingale is key to the innovation of this marvelous and engrossing study. By twining the story of Florence (the famous 19th...2004-09-03Ballantine
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Gillian Gill; Publisher: Ballantine
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Zedd shares his ultimate Memorial Day Weekend playlist
- 'Marshall Mathers LP' at 15: Revisit Eminem's best live performances
- Bill Murray is getting his own Netflix Christmas special
- Margaret Atwood talks Twitter Fiction and near-genius hashtags
- 'Hunger Games' photo portraits: EW exclusive First Look at upcoming book
- Keanu Reeves gets terrorized in new 'Knock Knock' trailer
- TLC airs '19 Kids and Counting' marathon after Josh Duggar child molestation allegations
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!