If the first ”Persepolis” told of the disillusionment of living under a veil of Islamic extremism in Iran, Persepolis 2 is a paean to what the author left behind. Hastened out of the country by her activist parents, 15-year-old Satrapi lands in Austria, mixes with an anarchist set, and indulges in dating horny boys and smoking weed. But haunted by the uncertain future of her family, she returns to Tehran four years later and falls into a funk, only to come out swinging in the face of oppression (among her achievements: redrafting her college’s head-scarf laws and doing time in the big house for partying). Still, her rebellious stunts never undermine Satrapi’s unconditional love for her troubled homeland?which, in these times of religious fervor and political gain, resonates all the more poignantly.
Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return If the first ''Persepolis'' told of the disillusionment of living under a veil of Islamic extremism in Iran, Persepolis 2 is a paean to what the...Persepolis 2: The Story of a ReturnNonfictionMarjane Satrapi If the first ''Persepolis'' told of the disillusionment of living under a veil of Islamic extremism in Iran, Persepolis 2 is a paean to what the...2004-09-03Pantheon
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Marjane Satrapi; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal' actor Tony Goldwyn thinks Fitz should get on Tinder
- 'Price is Right' specials to host contestants from 'Big Brother,' 'Survivor'
- Ross Marquand of 'TWD' to guest-star on 'The Mindy Project,' 'Deadbeat'
- Stephen Colbert thinks 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' sounds depressing
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996