If the first ”Persepolis” told of the disillusionment of living under a veil of Islamic extremism in Iran, Persepolis 2 is a paean to what the author left behind. Hastened out of the country by her activist parents, 15-year-old Satrapi lands in Austria, mixes with an anarchist set, and indulges in dating horny boys and smoking weed. But haunted by the uncertain future of her family, she returns to Tehran four years later and falls into a funk, only to come out swinging in the face of oppression (among her achievements: redrafting her college’s head-scarf laws and doing time in the big house for partying). Still, her rebellious stunts never undermine Satrapi’s unconditional love for her troubled homeland?which, in these times of religious fervor and political gain, resonates all the more poignantly.
Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return If the first ''Persepolis'' told of the disillusionment of living under a veil of Islamic extremism in Iran, Persepolis 2 is a paean to what the...Persepolis 2: The Story of a ReturnNonfictionMarjane Satrapi If the first ''Persepolis'' told of the disillusionment of living under a veil of Islamic extremism in Iran, Persepolis 2 is a paean to what the...2004-09-03Pantheon
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Marjane Satrapi; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!