”I’m Grace McGlone. This is Henry Dante. We’re trying for heaven.” So announces the heroine of Schickler’s totally cracked, lushly written, but (as its title suggests) zanily uneven first novel. Grace is a small-town Wisconsin girl, Henry a reformed heavy carrying a suitcase full of stolen million-dollar diamonds. ”Trying for heaven” means driving around the country after meeting at a car wash, giving the loot away as unforgiving gangsters give chase. Schickler ambitiously follows his fantastic 2001 story collection Kissing in Manhattan with a precious fairy-tale version of a bloody pulp novel. At times the book careers like a car without the brakes, but Schickler spins sentences in a way that keeps you in your seat.
Sweet and Vicious ''I'm Grace McGlone. This is Henry Dante. We're trying for heaven.'' So announces the heroine of Schickler's totally cracked, lushly written, but (as...Sweet and ViciousFictionDavid Schickler ''I'm Grace McGlone. This is Henry Dante. We're trying for heaven.'' So announces the heroine of Schickler's totally cracked, lushly written, but (as...2004-09-03Dial Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: David Schickler; Publisher: Dial Press
Posted September 3 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Eddie Redmayne hopes 'Fantastic Beasts' will be 'quite a ride'
- New 'Sicario' clip ratchets up the tension for Emily Blunt
- Hulu launches ad-free subscription model
- Donald Trump weighs in on Kanye's presidential candidacy announcement
- See the funny, scary opening credits for 'Scream Queens'
- What Derek Hough thinks of new 'DWTS' partner Bindi Irwin
- See the most popular passages from every single 'Outlander' book
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!