As Rex Harper, the bottom-feeding celebrity shutterbug of Paparazzi, Tom Sizemore, an actor with sleaze in his marrow, does a variation on his specialty: the lowlife operator who grins just at the moment he’s sliming you, as if he were asking you to share in the delight of his corruption. Harper sets about snapping invasive family photographs of a newly minted schlock action star named Bo Laramie, played by Cole Hauser with an overcooked glare of bug-eyed outrage that renders him even steelier than Peter Weller. In its early scenes, ”Paparazzi” exploits, with a certain brute B-movie effectiveness, an ugly reality – that even the worst excesses of tabloid photographers are part of a tacit contract with the public. The long-lensed rats do the digging, and we glory in the dirt. That’s a tasty subject for a movie, but once Rex and his fellow stalkerazzi cause Bo and his family to get into a car accident that echoes the one that killed Princess Diana, it doesn’t take long for the film to devolve into a ludicrously far-fetched Celebrity Death Wish.
(Paparazzi: Myles Aronowitz)
Starring: Cole Hauser, Robin Tunney; Starring: Wendy Braun, Dennis Farina, Tom Sizemore; Director: Paul Abascal; Release Date Wide: 09/03/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 92; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted September 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wall Street Journal to publish first chapter of Harper Lee's 'Go Set A Watchman'
- Will this be Hollywood's biggest box-office year ever?
- See Amy Schumer audition for 'The Real Housewives' of any city
- Edward Burns ventures into 1967 New York in 'Public Morals' trailer
- Dustin Hoffman rips the current state of movies: 'It's the worst that film has ever been'
- Stephen Colbert will be on next 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee'
- The Good Wife scoop: Jeffrey Dean Morgan cast as new series regular
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!