As Rex Harper, the bottom-feeding celebrity shutterbug of Paparazzi, Tom Sizemore, an actor with sleaze in his marrow, does a variation on his specialty: the lowlife operator who grins just at the moment he’s sliming you, as if he were asking you to share in the delight of his corruption. Harper sets about snapping invasive family photographs of a newly minted schlock action star named Bo Laramie, played by Cole Hauser with an overcooked glare of bug-eyed outrage that renders him even steelier than Peter Weller. In its early scenes, ”Paparazzi” exploits, with a certain brute B-movie effectiveness, an ugly reality – that even the worst excesses of tabloid photographers are part of a tacit contract with the public. The long-lensed rats do the digging, and we glory in the dirt. That’s a tasty subject for a movie, but once Rex and his fellow stalkerazzi cause Bo and his family to get into a car accident that echoes the one that killed Princess Diana, it doesn’t take long for the film to devolve into a ludicrously far-fetched Celebrity Death Wish.
(Paparazzi: Myles Aronowitz)
Starring: Cole Hauser, Robin Tunney; Starring: Wendy Braun, Dennis Farina, Tom Sizemore; Director: Paul Abascal; Release Date Wide: 09/03/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 92; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted September 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!