It would be tempting to say that fractured time sequences in movies have become a cliché, except that Wicker Park, unjustly lambasted by most critics, makes your brain spin in surprising and pleasurable ways. The hero, a junior ad executive played with a gentle wince of passion by Josh Hartnett, is presented, explicitly, as the most romantic of stalkers. We see him in scenes that take place two years apart: first, when he’s working at a camera store and spies a beautiful stranger (Diane Kruger), whom he follows to a dance class, ultimately trespassing right into her heart; and, later, after they have broken up, when he becomes involved with the enigmatic Alex (Rose Byrne), who turns stalking into a form of identity theft. The director, Paul McGuigan (”Gangster No. 1”), layers time so that the past and the present melt, at least in spirit, into one. You have to work, maybe a bit too hard, to follow ”Wicker Park”; I could hear the audience turn off to it the more complicated it got. Yet the final clinch, scored to Coldplay’s ”The Scientist,” is a moving testament to the way that ”normal” amorous behavior needs, at times, to lurch into obsession. The movie doesn’t make the extreme look ordinary so much as it finds one inside the other.
(Wicker Park: Attila Dory)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Josh Hartnett, Rose Byrne, Diane Kruger, Matthew Lillard, Jessica Pare; Director: Paul McGuigan; Release Date Wide: 09/03/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted September 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!