While the 1920s are often romanticized as a prosperous era of flappers and jazz-filled speakeasies, for many black Americans the decade is best characterized by a roaring opposition to integration in Northern cities. Arc of Justice explores an explosive 1925 incident in which Ossian Sweet – an ambitious black physician who moved to a white, KKK-infested Detroit neighborhood – rallied 10 friends and relatives to combat an angry, stone-throwing mob, resulting in the shooting death of a white man. Boyle’s page-turning account of the incident and the landmark murder trial is both exhaustive and exhausting: He spins a suspenseful narrative, but then abandons it for a 125-page analysis of Sweet’s lineage. When Boyle returns to the central story, his dynamic character sketches (especially of legendary defense attorney Clarence Darrow) make for riveting courtroom theater.
Arc of Justice While the 1920s are often romanticized as a prosperous era of flappers and jazz-filled speakeasies, for many black Americans the decade is best ...Arc of JusticeHistory, NonfictionKevin Boyle While the 1920s are often romanticized as a prosperous era of flappers and jazz-filled speakeasies, for many black Americans the decade is best ...2004-09-10Henry Holt & Company
Genre: History, Nonfiction; Author: Kevin Boyle; Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- See T-Pain sing the national anthem at a Dodgers game
- Sam Smith loves Hozier's cover of 'Lay Me Down'
- David Tennant helps remix Shakespeare with hip-hop in app
- Saoirse Ronan struggles with homesickness in the first clip from 'Brooklyn'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!