Looks like Madonna won’t get to express herself on CBS anytime soon. At its upfront presentation to advertisers this spring, the network boasted it would air a concert performance from the singer’s current Reinvention Tour, marking her first concert special for network TV after having done three such specials for HBO. Taping was to take place next week when Madonna performs in Lisbon, Portugal. Now, however, Variety reports that CBS has scrapped plans to air Madonna’s show. At issue, a CBS spokesperson told Variety, was Madonna’s insistence that the show run two hours-plus, without commercials, just like her shows on HBO. But CBS didn’t want to air more than two hours of the Material Mom’s material. Left unsaid by CBS, which is facing an imminent $550,000 indecency fine levied by the Federal Communications Commission over Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, is the network’s likely relief over not risking a similar fine for airing anything risqué that the bustier-clad Madonna might include in her show.
(Madonna: Aaron Harris/AP)
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Gotham' sneak peek: Barbara and Jerome cross paths in Arkham
- Uber offering free 'Mad Max: Fury Road'-themed rides in Seattle
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!