Looks like Madonna won’t get to express herself on CBS anytime soon. At its upfront presentation to advertisers this spring, the network boasted it would air a concert performance from the singer’s current Reinvention Tour, marking her first concert special for network TV after having done three such specials for HBO. Taping was to take place next week when Madonna performs in Lisbon, Portugal. Now, however, Variety reports that CBS has scrapped plans to air Madonna’s show. At issue, a CBS spokesperson told Variety, was Madonna’s insistence that the show run two hours-plus, without commercials, just like her shows on HBO. But CBS didn’t want to air more than two hours of the Material Mom’s material. Left unsaid by CBS, which is facing an imminent $550,000 indecency fine levied by the Federal Communications Commission over Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, is the network’s likely relief over not risking a similar fine for airing anything risqué that the bustier-clad Madonna might include in her show.
(Madonna: Aaron Harris/AP)
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!