Looks like Madonna won’t get to express herself on CBS anytime soon. At its upfront presentation to advertisers this spring, the network boasted it would air a concert performance from the singer’s current Reinvention Tour, marking her first concert special for network TV after having done three such specials for HBO. Taping was to take place next week when Madonna performs in Lisbon, Portugal. Now, however, Variety reports that CBS has scrapped plans to air Madonna’s show. At issue, a CBS spokesperson told Variety, was Madonna’s insistence that the show run two hours-plus, without commercials, just like her shows on HBO. But CBS didn’t want to air more than two hours of the Material Mom’s material. Left unsaid by CBS, which is facing an imminent $550,000 indecency fine levied by the Federal Communications Commission over Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, is the network’s likely relief over not risking a similar fine for airing anything risqué that the bustier-clad Madonna might include in her show.
(Madonna: Aaron Harris/AP)
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Dust off your crayons: Adult coloring books are here
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!