Looks like Madonna won’t get to express herself on CBS anytime soon. At its upfront presentation to advertisers this spring, the network boasted it would air a concert performance from the singer’s current Reinvention Tour, marking her first concert special for network TV after having done three such specials for HBO. Taping was to take place next week when Madonna performs in Lisbon, Portugal. Now, however, Variety reports that CBS has scrapped plans to air Madonna’s show. At issue, a CBS spokesperson told Variety, was Madonna’s insistence that the show run two hours-plus, without commercials, just like her shows on HBO. But CBS didn’t want to air more than two hours of the Material Mom’s material. Left unsaid by CBS, which is facing an imminent $550,000 indecency fine levied by the Federal Communications Commission over Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, is the network’s likely relief over not risking a similar fine for airing anything risqué that the bustier-clad Madonna might include in her show.
(Madonna: Aaron Harris/AP)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!