Looks like Madonna won’t get to express herself on CBS anytime soon. At its upfront presentation to advertisers this spring, the network boasted it would air a concert performance from the singer’s current Reinvention Tour, marking her first concert special for network TV after having done three such specials for HBO. Taping was to take place next week when Madonna performs in Lisbon, Portugal. Now, however, Variety reports that CBS has scrapped plans to air Madonna’s show. At issue, a CBS spokesperson told Variety, was Madonna’s insistence that the show run two hours-plus, without commercials, just like her shows on HBO. But CBS didn’t want to air more than two hours of the Material Mom’s material. Left unsaid by CBS, which is facing an imminent $550,000 indecency fine levied by the Federal Communications Commission over Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, is the network’s likely relief over not risking a similar fine for airing anything risqué that the bustier-clad Madonna might include in her show.
(Madonna: Aaron Harris/AP)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!