Looks like Madonna won’t get to express herself on CBS anytime soon. At its upfront presentation to advertisers this spring, the network boasted it would air a concert performance from the singer’s current Reinvention Tour, marking her first concert special for network TV after having done three such specials for HBO. Taping was to take place next week when Madonna performs in Lisbon, Portugal. Now, however, Variety reports that CBS has scrapped plans to air Madonna’s show. At issue, a CBS spokesperson told Variety, was Madonna’s insistence that the show run two hours-plus, without commercials, just like her shows on HBO. But CBS didn’t want to air more than two hours of the Material Mom’s material. Left unsaid by CBS, which is facing an imminent $550,000 indecency fine levied by the Federal Communications Commission over Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, is the network’s likely relief over not risking a similar fine for airing anything risqué that the bustier-clad Madonna might include in her show.
(Madonna: Aaron Harris/AP)
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Happy Canada Day: 20 Canadian actors we love
- Stephen Colbert interviewed Eminem on a Michigan public access show
- iZombie's Liv Moore gets a kick-ass action figure
- Hollywood's road to marriage equality
- Tyler Posey talks 'Teen Wolf': season 5...while playing Mario Kart
- This is what Obama is listening to right now
- Watch the 'Rick and Morty' season 2 trailer
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Beyoncé, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift & More!