Looks like Madonna won’t get to express herself on CBS anytime soon. At its upfront presentation to advertisers this spring, the network boasted it would air a concert performance from the singer’s current Reinvention Tour, marking her first concert special for network TV after having done three such specials for HBO. Taping was to take place next week when Madonna performs in Lisbon, Portugal. Now, however, Variety reports that CBS has scrapped plans to air Madonna’s show. At issue, a CBS spokesperson told Variety, was Madonna’s insistence that the show run two hours-plus, without commercials, just like her shows on HBO. But CBS didn’t want to air more than two hours of the Material Mom’s material. Left unsaid by CBS, which is facing an imminent $550,000 indecency fine levied by the Federal Communications Commission over Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, is the network’s likely relief over not risking a similar fine for airing anything risqué that the bustier-clad Madonna might include in her show.
(Madonna: Aaron Harris/AP)
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Amazon is releasing the 'Transparent' season 2 premiere early
- Nicholas Brendon returning to 'The Dr. Phil Show'
- 'Straight Outta Compton' star O'Shea Jackson on the film's Oscar potential
- Ricki Lake and social influencers launch #TreatmentForAll in honor of World AIDS Day
- See Jill Scott's moving acceptance speech at the Soul Train Awards
- The brothers-in-law are back in the latest 'Ride Along 2' trailer
- Christopher McQuarrie to return for 'Mission: Impossible 6'