From tracks that sound like Missy Elliott castoffs (courtesy of producer Timbaland) to a glut of hook-girl pop, LL Cool J’s latest, The DEFinition, seeks to make one of hip-hop’s longtime and most singular rhymers once again appear relevant. But the party jams and lovemaking odes are merely competent genre exercises that bury his still-sharp voice. And why didn’t someone stop him from revealing his rich-and-removed cluelessness with lines like ”I’m still a teen pop idol, like Hanson”?
The DEFinitionFrom tracks that sound like Missy Elliott castoffs (courtesy of producer Timbaland) to a glut of hook-girl pop, LL Cool J's latest, The DEFinition...The DEFinitionHip-Hop/RapFrom tracks that sound like Missy Elliott castoffs (courtesy of producer Timbaland) to a glut of hook-girl pop, LL Cool J's latest, The DEFinition...2004-09-10
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: LL Cool J; Producer (group): Def Jam
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More