It’s arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven’t been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind). But this much isn’t even open to debate: No one serves up plays of the day with more joy and smart-ass wit than ESPN. Launched on Sept. 7, 1979, and held together with Scotch tape, chewing gum, and slo-pitch softball, ESPN was hardly as instant success. Yet 25 years later, ESPN25’s breezy collection of bite-size charts, lists, and anecdotes attests, sports geeks can’t imagine a world without SportsCenter’s savant anchors uncorking catchphrases like ”en fuego” and ”as cool as the other side of the pillow.”
ESPN25 It's arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven't been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind)....ESPN25NonfictionCharles Hirshberg It's arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven't been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind)....2004-09-10Hyperion
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Charles Hirshberg; Publisher: Hyperion
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!