It’s arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven’t been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind). But this much isn’t even open to debate: No one serves up plays of the day with more joy and smart-ass wit than ESPN. Launched on Sept. 7, 1979, and held together with Scotch tape, chewing gum, and slo-pitch softball, ESPN was hardly as instant success. Yet 25 years later, ESPN25’s breezy collection of bite-size charts, lists, and anecdotes attests, sports geeks can’t imagine a world without SportsCenter’s savant anchors uncorking catchphrases like ”en fuego” and ”as cool as the other side of the pillow.”
ESPN25 It's arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven't been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind)....ESPN25NonfictionCharles Hirshberg It's arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven't been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind)....2004-09-10Hyperion
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Charles Hirshberg; Publisher: Hyperion
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas' 'Trust You': Hear it, get scoop on new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!