It’s arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven’t been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind). But this much isn’t even open to debate: No one serves up plays of the day with more joy and smart-ass wit than ESPN. Launched on Sept. 7, 1979, and held together with Scotch tape, chewing gum, and slo-pitch softball, ESPN was hardly as instant success. Yet 25 years later, ESPN25’s breezy collection of bite-size charts, lists, and anecdotes attests, sports geeks can’t imagine a world without SportsCenter’s savant anchors uncorking catchphrases like ”en fuego” and ”as cool as the other side of the pillow.”
ESPN25 It's arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven't been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind)....ESPN25NonfictionCharles Hirshberg It's arguable that around-the-clock highlights haven't been a boon for sports (Terrell Owens mugging for the camera in the end zone comes to mind)....2004-09-10Hyperion
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Charles Hirshberg; Publisher: Hyperion
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Spielberg predicts superhero movies will go 'the way of the Western'
- Joaquin Phoenix talks 'Doctor Strange' rumors, views on franchise films
- Alabama Shakes frontwoman Brittany Howard drops surprise album
- 8 debut albums to get excited about this fall
- Salma Hayek was in a love triangle with two monkeys
- 11 duos who should host the 2016 Oscars
- See Bryan Cranston’s transformation into LBJ for HBO biopic
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!