Like many middleagers, Rusty and Judy Glide long ago let their marriage settle into a hazy, too-comfortable state of coexistence. He spends his evenings alone in the garage; she silently drinks schnapps in the kitchen. But neohippie daughter Gretchen shocks them back to life when she declares that her forthcoming child will be raised in a ”gender-neutral” environment replete with foam blobs and black onesies. (The movement’s leader, Hael Vanhorn, is a ”cape wearer” who ”inverted her name to add sexual complexity.”) Darlington treats the fusty Glides with sharp, batty glee while carefully avoiding self-parody. Yet for all of Maybe Baby’s rich characterization and zippy plotting, she hurries through the final chapters, leaving the story to languish when it should pack its strongest, silliest punch. What’s the rush, girl?
Maybe Baby Like many middleagers, Rusty and Judy Glide long ago let their marriage settle into a hazy, too-comfortable state of coexistence. He spends his ...Maybe BabyFictionTenaya Darlington Like many middleagers, Rusty and Judy Glide long ago let their marriage settle into a hazy, too-comfortable state of coexistence. He spends his ...2004-09-10Back Bay
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tenaya Darlington; Publisher: Back Bay
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!