Set during a New York senatorial race at the height of the Clinton-Lewinsky unpleasantness, Mizner’s hilarious debut, Political Animal, follows Ben Bergin, a speechwriter for a Brooklyn congressman as he falls out of love with his candidate and in love with Calliope, a free-spirited volunteer wrangler. Mizner, a former speechwriter himself, provides a cast of campaign workers who all look and feel like hell – Ben being the prime example. Wearing stain-covered shirts and displaying abysmal hygiene, he cowers in the bathroom to escape work and drinks martinis on his lunch break. But Calliope chips away at his shell of sarcasm and vulgarity to discover that like most cynics, Ben is at heart a romantic idealist. With its winking yet perceptive tone, this unlikely love story wins my vote.
Political Animal Set during a New York senatorial race at the height of the Clinton-Lewinsky unpleasantness, Mizner's hilarious debut, Political Animal, follows...Political AnimalFictionDavid Mizner Set during a New York senatorial race at the height of the Clinton-Lewinsky unpleasantness, Mizner's hilarious debut, Political Animal, follows...2004-09-10Soho
Genre: Fiction; Author: David Mizner; Publisher: Soho
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!