Set during a New York senatorial race at the height of the Clinton-Lewinsky unpleasantness, Mizner’s hilarious debut, Political Animal, follows Ben Bergin, a speechwriter for a Brooklyn congressman as he falls out of love with his candidate and in love with Calliope, a free-spirited volunteer wrangler. Mizner, a former speechwriter himself, provides a cast of campaign workers who all look and feel like hell – Ben being the prime example. Wearing stain-covered shirts and displaying abysmal hygiene, he cowers in the bathroom to escape work and drinks martinis on his lunch break. But Calliope chips away at his shell of sarcasm and vulgarity to discover that like most cynics, Ben is at heart a romantic idealist. With its winking yet perceptive tone, this unlikely love story wins my vote.
Political Animal Set during a New York senatorial race at the height of the Clinton-Lewinsky unpleasantness, Mizner's hilarious debut, Political Animal, follows...Political AnimalFictionDavid Mizner Set during a New York senatorial race at the height of the Clinton-Lewinsky unpleasantness, Mizner's hilarious debut, Political Animal, follows...2004-09-10Soho
Genre: Fiction; Author: David Mizner; Publisher: Soho
Posted September 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!