Dust off those broomsticks, Bewitched fans. After languishing in development for more than a decade, Sony’s adaptation of the now-kitschy 1960s TV series is finally taking flight – with a meta-detour of Charlie Kaufman proportions. The studio would not comment, but according to one cast member, the film (written and directed by You’ve Got Mail’s Nora Ephron) won’t follow the straightforward approaches of such recent small-to-big-screen jumps as Starsky & Hutch. ”The movie’s about making the remake of the television show, and I’m the head writer of that show,” explains Stephen Colbert (The Daily Show). ”Will Ferrell plays a washed-up actor who’s reviving his career by doing the remake, and I have to deal with his ego.” Nicole Kidman, meanwhile, stars as Isabel Bigelow, a witch who lands the lead role of Samantha Stephens on the revived series. But what truly has our noses a-twitchin’ is news that Strangers With Candy’s Amy Sedaris will appear as the Stephens’ nosy neighbor, Gladys Kravitz (famously played on TV by Alice Pearce). Consider us enchanted.
Posted September 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Carpool Karaoke: Lady Gaga sings, James Corden wears meat dress
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop