Dust off those broomsticks, Bewitched fans. After languishing in development for more than a decade, Sony’s adaptation of the now-kitschy 1960s TV series is finally taking flight – with a meta-detour of Charlie Kaufman proportions. The studio would not comment, but according to one cast member, the film (written and directed by You’ve Got Mail’s Nora Ephron) won’t follow the straightforward approaches of such recent small-to-big-screen jumps as Starsky & Hutch. ”The movie’s about making the remake of the television show, and I’m the head writer of that show,” explains Stephen Colbert (The Daily Show). ”Will Ferrell plays a washed-up actor who’s reviving his career by doing the remake, and I have to deal with his ego.” Nicole Kidman, meanwhile, stars as Isabel Bigelow, a witch who lands the lead role of Samantha Stephens on the revived series. But what truly has our noses a-twitchin’ is news that Strangers With Candy’s Amy Sedaris will appear as the Stephens’ nosy neighbor, Gladys Kravitz (famously played on TV by Alice Pearce). Consider us enchanted.
Posted September 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!