For its first 30 pages, The Little White Car seems like a tediously hip satire of alienated young Parisian girls numbed out on sex, drugs, and avant-garde rock & roll. Then its heroine realizes she just killed Princess Diana, and suddenly, a larky bit of chick lit becomes a lean, mean hilarity machine. Veronique and her equally vapid pal Estelle flounder through a cover-up attempt (think The Simple Life as a French reality-TV show). Dan Rhodes, author of 2003’s superior Timoleon Vieta Come Home, writes under a goofy pseudonym and races the engines on his considerable wit. (Estelle: ”What do men who smoke a lot of dope all have in common?” Veronique: ”I don’t know. Bad hair?”) A meaningless good time, particularly if you picture Paris and Nicole in the leads.
The Little White Car For its first 30 pages, The Little White Car seems like a tediously hip satire of alienated young Parisian girls numbed out on sex, drugs, and...The Little White CarFictionDanuta de Rhodes For its first 30 pages, The Little White Car seems like a tediously hip satire of alienated young Parisian girls numbed out on sex, drugs, and...2004-09-17Canongate
Genre: Fiction; Author: Danuta de Rhodes; Publisher: Canongate
Posted September 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lupita Nyong'o to star in New York play written by 'Walking Dead' star
- Bikini Kill will release three new songs
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' creators on ... another sequel?
- Ivan Reitman releases statement on 'Ghostbusters' franchise
- 'Xena: Warrior Princess' stars reunite on Instagram
- 'The Good Wife's Archie Panjabi to guest-star on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- John Green defends Cara Delevingne after infamous interview
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!