Orhan Pamuk does not hold back. In his seventh novel, Snow, the Turkish author addresses Love, Religion, Politics, and many other big-letter themes as he dissects the ideologies that threaten his native land. Ka, a 42-year-old poet who has not written in many years, returns to Turkey after years of political exile. Ostensibly there for his mother’s funeral, Ka journeys to the border town of Kars to investigate a rash of suicides by Muslim girls banned from school for wearing their head scarves, while also planning to convince Ipek, an old crush, to run away with him. A proxy for Turkey itself, Ka is torn between Islam and atheism as he experiences a streak of poetic inspiration he attributes to God. Crammed with empathetic characters fervent in their beliefs, Snow abounds with political intrigue while remaining lushly tragic at heart.
Snow Orhan Pamuk does not hold back. In his seventh novel, Snow, the Turkish author addresses Love, Religion, Politics, and many other big-letter...SnowFictionOrhan Pamuk Orhan Pamuk does not hold back. In his seventh novel, Snow, the Turkish author addresses Love, Religion, Politics, and many other big-letter...2004-09-17Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Orhan Pamuk; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 17 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical' cast sing 'California'
- Ellen Page says it's 'borderline offensive' to call actors brave for playing LGBTQ roles
- How 'Hannibal' was 'The Sopranos'
- Everything you need to know about 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- Aaron Tveit, Daniel Sunjata sum up 'Graceland' in 30 seconds
- 'Hannibal' boss previews series finale, considers cannibalism
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!