Orhan Pamuk does not hold back. In his seventh novel, Snow, the Turkish author addresses Love, Religion, Politics, and many other big-letter themes as he dissects the ideologies that threaten his native land. Ka, a 42-year-old poet who has not written in many years, returns to Turkey after years of political exile. Ostensibly there for his mother’s funeral, Ka journeys to the border town of Kars to investigate a rash of suicides by Muslim girls banned from school for wearing their head scarves, while also planning to convince Ipek, an old crush, to run away with him. A proxy for Turkey itself, Ka is torn between Islam and atheism as he experiences a streak of poetic inspiration he attributes to God. Crammed with empathetic characters fervent in their beliefs, Snow abounds with political intrigue while remaining lushly tragic at heart.
Snow Orhan Pamuk does not hold back. In his seventh novel, Snow, the Turkish author addresses Love, Religion, Politics, and many other big-letter...SnowFictionOrhan Pamuk Orhan Pamuk does not hold back. In his seventh novel, Snow, the Turkish author addresses Love, Religion, Politics, and many other big-letter...2004-09-17Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Orhan Pamuk; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!