William Trevor’s writing is as much about what isn’t expressed as what is – a study in negative space. A deliberate, slightly ominous rhythm propels the stories in A Bit on the Side, and the small-scale characters (a prep-school maid, a troubled priest, an adulterous accountant) are conjured fully with a few well-chosen observations: ”One shoulder taking the weight against the door-jamb, a single curler left in her hair, slippers on her feet and the folded arms.” Each tale is rich with the layered depth of a novel. A piece like ”Sacred Statues” – about a poor woman who considers selling her baby to support her husband’s artistic gift – leaves you pleasantly disoriented, as if just emerging from a thick forest.
A Bit on the Side William Trevor's writing is as much about what isn't expressed as what is -- a study in negative space. A deliberate, slightly ominous rhythm propels ...A Bit on the SideFictionWilliam Trevor William Trevor's writing is as much about what isn't expressed as what is -- a study in negative space. A deliberate, slightly ominous rhythm propels ...2004-09-24Viking
Genre: Fiction; Author: William Trevor; Publisher: Viking
Posted September 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- 'Scandal' stars tour the White House ahead of Correspondents' Dinner
- Paul Rudd had a fanboy moment over 'Captain America: Civil War'
- James Gunn's parents visited the set of 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' video spotlights Steve-Bucky relationship
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch