After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood’s Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in deconstructing Hollywood’s quintessential leading man. Not that he doesn’t poke into the private corners of Grant’s life, including his often-stormy marriages and his ambiguously gay relationship with actor Randolph Scott. But Eliot bears witness without stooping to prurience, even if his prose sometimes goes laughably purple (as when he likens Grant’s cleft chin to ”a beautiful woman’s naked behind…on her knees in sexual supplication before the godlike monument of his face”). Through umpteen mini-production histories, he details how Grant played contractual hardball, bucking the studio system to become a free agent whose popularity peaked with 1959’s Operation Petticoat. One pal may have playfully nicknamed him Sister Cary, but the man born Archie Leach was pretty bloomin’ tough.
Cary Grant After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood's Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in ...Cary GrantNonfiction, BiographyMarc Eliot After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood's Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in ...2004-09-24Harmony Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Marc Eliot; Publisher: Harmony Books
Posted September 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!