After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood’s Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in deconstructing Hollywood’s quintessential leading man. Not that he doesn’t poke into the private corners of Grant’s life, including his often-stormy marriages and his ambiguously gay relationship with actor Randolph Scott. But Eliot bears witness without stooping to prurience, even if his prose sometimes goes laughably purple (as when he likens Grant’s cleft chin to ”a beautiful woman’s naked behind…on her knees in sexual supplication before the godlike monument of his face”). Through umpteen mini-production histories, he details how Grant played contractual hardball, bucking the studio system to become a free agent whose popularity peaked with 1959’s Operation Petticoat. One pal may have playfully nicknamed him Sister Cary, but the man born Archie Leach was pretty bloomin’ tough.
Cary Grant After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood's Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in ...Cary GrantNonfiction, BiographyMarc Eliot After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood's Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in ...2004-09-24Harmony Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Marc Eliot; Status: In Season; Publisher: Harmony Books
Posted September 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!