After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood’s Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in deconstructing Hollywood’s quintessential leading man. Not that he doesn’t poke into the private corners of Grant’s life, including his often-stormy marriages and his ambiguously gay relationship with actor Randolph Scott. But Eliot bears witness without stooping to prurience, even if his prose sometimes goes laughably purple (as when he likens Grant’s cleft chin to ”a beautiful woman’s naked behind…on her knees in sexual supplication before the godlike monument of his face”). Through umpteen mini-production histories, he details how Grant played contractual hardball, bucking the studio system to become a free agent whose popularity peaked with 1959’s Operation Petticoat. One pal may have playfully nicknamed him Sister Cary, but the man born Archie Leach was pretty bloomin’ tough.
Cary Grant After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood's Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in ...Cary GrantNonfiction, BiographyMarc Eliot After sliming Walt Disney in a 1993 bio subtitled Hollywood's Dark Prince, Marc Eliot turns out to be much less of a scandalmonger in ...2004-09-24Harmony Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Marc Eliot; Publisher: Harmony Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More