After the success of Star Wars, devotees went back to Lucas’ first sci-fi film and thought… What the hell? Sure, both films tell the tale of a small band of rebels, but the similarities pretty much end there. Where Star Wars is warm and fuzzy (and I’m not just talking about the Wookiee), THX 1138 is cold and creepy, showing us a future where humans are drugged, shaved, and subservient. And while the movie is aggressively anticommercial, that didn’t stop Lucas from giving it a makeover for the two-disc THX 1138: The George Lucas Director’s Cut (R, 88 mins., 1971, Warner). In some cases, shots have simply been cleaned up. In others, completely new scenes and environments have been added (check out the spiffy car-chase improvements). Does it look better? Definitely. Does it transform THX from a good film into a great one? Not really. What is great, however, is the collection of extras, including Lucas’ original student film, an hour-long documentary on American Zoetrope (Francis Ford Coppola’s filmmakers collective), and another doc with star Maggie McOmie about to break into tears as her hair is chopped off. If only the film had as much emotion.
(THX 1138: © & TM Lucasfilm. All Rights Reserved)
Starring: Robert Duvall, Maggie McOmie, Donald Pleasence; Director: George Lucas; Author: George Lucas
Posted September 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Four reasons 'Straight Outta Compton' made N.W.A the Boyz of summer
- Grace Helbig and Tyler Oakley tapped to host 2015 Streamy Awards
- Miley Cyrus: Donald Trump 'loved' twerking performance at 2013 VMAs
- 6 new tracks we loved this week
- 'Limitless' stages 'Dexter' reunion
- 'The Blacklist': Check out Liz's new look in exclusive first trailer
- Rob Lowe's comedy casts Christina Applegate as former flame
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!