If anyone is still caught up in the great NYC rock debate of ‘03 – who’s más cool, the Strokes or Interpol? – Antics ends the argument like a swift chop to Julian Casablancas’ head. Interpol’s debut, 2002’s Turn on the Bright Lights, was an impeccably arranged post-punk mope-scape that ended up selling more than 300,000 copies and kick-starting the alt-rock renaissance. This follow-up mines similar terrain – angst-ridden Gothic blues – though there are enough new wrinkles in the quartet’s tailored suits to keep things from getting too redundant. Early-’80s British new wave is still the main reference point, but the Joy Division comparisons seem unfair this time around, if not wholly misplaced. After all, lead singer Paul Banks has cut down on his adenoidal moaning (Benadryl, perhaps?), and he brings a surprisingly uplifting tunefulness to the band’s spiky rhythms and swelling drones, from the stomping four-on-the-floor single ”Slow Hands” to the even better ”Evil,” a beery sing-along about, well, something or other that someone named Rosemary did. Narrative clarity isn’t exactly Interpol’s strength – ”Subway she is a porno” was the most memorable line from their last CD. But among the free-associated lyrics about hurting hearts and, literally, ships in the night (”Take You on a Cruise”) is a band that’s just begun to excavate the crevices of their cold, dark souls.
AnticsIf anyone is still caught up in the great NYC rock debate of '03 -- who's más cool, the Strokes or Interpol? -- Antics ends the...AnticsIf anyone is still caught up in the great NYC rock debate of '03 -- who's más cool, the Strokes or Interpol? -- Antics ends the...2004-10-01
(Interpol: Peter Pakvis/Redferns/Retna)
Producer (group): Matador; Status: In Season
Posted October 1 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!