In Chicken Dreaming Corn—the title is a Romanian expression for yearning for something special—Hoffman takes a poignant, illuminating look at immigrant Jews in the deep-dish South, inspired by his grandparents’ lives at the turn of the 20th century in Mobile, Ala. Though storekeeper Morris Kleinman may seem a bit too good-hearted to be true, Hoffman reveals the kinds of secrets that often hide behind prejudice—one Klansman is a Jew who fathers a child with a black woman. The past is never really over, and in Roy Hoffman’s world at least, the chicken gets the corn more often than not.
Chicken Dreaming Corn In Chicken Dreaming Corn—the title is a Romanian expression for yearning for something special—Hoffman takes a poignant,...Chicken Dreaming CornFictionRoy Hoffman In Chicken Dreaming Corn—the title is a Romanian expression for yearning for something special—Hoffman takes a poignant,...2004-10-01University of Georgia Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Roy Hoffman; Publisher: University of Georgia Press
Posted October 1 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Woo says he won't make same epic mistake twice
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!