Communist nostalgia. In Walter Salles’ road film, Gael García Bernal plays Ernesto Guevara in 1952, years before he became the martyr/guru Che. The character is little more than a noble, passive bourgeois, which lets the audience project their fantasies of Che onto Bernal’s deeply uninteresting performance.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Rodrigo De La Serna, Gael García Bernal; Director: Walter Salles; Author: Jose Rivera; Release Date Limited: 09/24/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted October 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan to be honored by Santa Barbara Film Festival
- 'Survivor Talk': Stephen and Ciera critique each other's games
- New honest trailer points out how 'Minions' is kind of like 'Joey'
- Digital stars call for YouTube to delete Sam Pepper's channel
- Fox responds to reports of bear rape in 'The Revenant'
- 'Scream Queens' exclusive: Black Friday gets bloody
- Sara Bareilles' 'Waitress' makes history with all-female creative team