Communist nostalgia. In Walter Salles’ road film, Gael García Bernal plays Ernesto Guevara in 1952, years before he became the martyr/guru Che. The character is little more than a noble, passive bourgeois, which lets the audience project their fantasies of Che onto Bernal’s deeply uninteresting performance.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Rodrigo De La Serna, Gael García Bernal; Director: Walter Salles; Author: Jose Rivera; Release Date Limited: 09/24/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted October 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game