Communist nostalgia. In Walter Salles’ road film, Gael García Bernal plays Ernesto Guevara in 1952, years before he became the martyr/guru Che. The character is little more than a noble, passive bourgeois, which lets the audience project their fantasies of Che onto Bernal’s deeply uninteresting performance.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Rodrigo De La Serna, Gael García Bernal; Director: Walter Salles; Author: Jose Rivera; Release Date Limited: 09/24/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted October 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': The director's identity revealed?
- 'This Is Us' creator Dan Fogelman on that gut-punch ending
- 'Scream Queens': John Stamos on that 'pretty awkward' shower scene
- 'This Is Us': Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia on episode 2's twist
- Sia uses her song 'The Greatest' to endorse Hillary Clinton
- Ryan Lochte's 'Dancing With the Stars' protestors charged
- Solange Knowles to release new album on Friday