In My Kind of Place, this collection of travel stories isn’t exactly (or consistently) about travel — the best-selling author of The Orchid Thief sneaks in pieces on a children’s beauty pageant, Keiko the whale, and imagining Tina Turner as a houseguest. Filled with wonder and a wondrous sense of humor, Susan Orlean checks her voice at the door when others need to be heard, reporting with compassion and a remarkable absence of irony — no easy feat when, say, dinner conversation at a taxidermy convention revolves around fake fish and animal eyeballs. And when she’s funny, she’s hilarious, clearly having the time of her life. Who could resist continuing an essay that begins ”The penises in Bhutan amazed me, there were so many of them”?
My Kind of PlaceIn My Kind of Place, this collection of travel stories isn't exactly (or consistently) about travel — the best-selling author of ...My Kind of PlaceNonfictionSusan OrleanIn My Kind of Place, this collection of travel stories isn't exactly (or consistently) about travel — the best-selling author of ...2004-10-08Random House
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Susan Orlean; Publisher: Random House
Posted October 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!