In My Kind of Place, this collection of travel stories isn’t exactly (or consistently) about travel — the best-selling author of The Orchid Thief sneaks in pieces on a children’s beauty pageant, Keiko the whale, and imagining Tina Turner as a houseguest. Filled with wonder and a wondrous sense of humor, Susan Orlean checks her voice at the door when others need to be heard, reporting with compassion and a remarkable absence of irony — no easy feat when, say, dinner conversation at a taxidermy convention revolves around fake fish and animal eyeballs. And when she’s funny, she’s hilarious, clearly having the time of her life. Who could resist continuing an essay that begins ”The penises in Bhutan amazed me, there were so many of them”?
My Kind of PlaceIn My Kind of Place, this collection of travel stories isn't exactly (or consistently) about travel — the best-selling author of ...My Kind of PlaceNonfictionSusan OrleanIn My Kind of Place, this collection of travel stories isn't exactly (or consistently) about travel — the best-selling author of ...2004-10-08Random House
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Susan Orlean; Publisher: Random House
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!