A former volunteer in the People’s Liberation Army of his native China, National Book Award-winning author Jin (Waiting) delivers a Korean War-set saga seen through the eyes of a PLA soldier sent into the conflict by his country’s Communist regime. Captured and held in POW camps, young Yu Yuan faces combat of another kind: Should he maintain his allegiance to the Reds or side with the anti-Communist Nationalists? Will his English-speaking skills elevate or impair him? And when will he reunite with his fiancée, with whom he’d made love just before leaving? (”It was as though I meant to pour all of myself into her so that a part of me would remain home.”) War Trash is a tough read — the sights, sounds, and stench of war seem unshakable — but it’s both timely and touching.
War Trash A former volunteer in the People's Liberation Army of his native China, National Book Award-winning author Jin (Waiting) delivers a Korean ...War TrashFictionHa Jin A former volunteer in the People's Liberation Army of his native China, National Book Award-winning author Jin (Waiting) delivers a Korean ...2004-10-08Pantheon
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ha Jin; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted October 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade