Stephen King’s career has always been about spooking, rather than just goosing, the audience, which is why Stephen King’s Riding the Bullet, an adaptation of his popular e-book, falls short of its source. In 1969, Alan Parker (Jonathan Jackson), an art student at the University of Maine, is hitchhiking to the hospital where his mother (Barbara Hershey) lies in recovery — or maybe not — from a stroke. As the prospect of her mortality collides with his paranoia, the film gooses us every five minutes or so with another freakazoid fantasy slingshot from the depths of Alan’s imagination. He has visions of a spectre who’s like a decaying Death in The Seventh Seal; of his mother turning over in bed with no face; of a flesh-tearing coyote and a crow that caws, ”What the f— are you lookin’ at?” Alan must learn to transcend his fears, but after the sixth or seventh false alarm (not to mention the third or fourth creepy driver who picks him up on the road), we’re well ahead of him in not lending his demons much credence.
Riding the BulletStephen King's career has always been about spooking, rather than just goosing, the audience, which is why Stephen King's Riding the BulletRiding the BulletPT98MRStephen King's career has always been about spooking, rather than just goosing, the audience, which is why Stephen King's Riding the Bullet2004-10-13MPCA
Starring: David Arquette, Patricia Arquette, Jonathan Jackson; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MPCA
Posted October 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- HBO orders Lena Dunham's 1960s feminism comedy pilot
- Hear Pharrell's remix of A Tribe Called Quest's 'Bonita Applebum'
- Marlon James' 'A Brief History of Seven Killings' wins the 2015 Man Booker Prize
- 'Fresh Off the Boat' exclusive clip: Jeremy Lin + 'Pretty in Pink' = ?
- Selena Gomez picks her favorite Taylor Swift songs
- 'WarGames' rebooting as interactive video short
- Jennifer Grey on 'Dirty Dancing' lift: 'Never ask me to do it again'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6