The Darling, the new novel by the author of The Sweet Hereafter, Affliction, and the great Continental Drift severely disappoints. The problem: a bloodless narrator named Hannah, a 58-year-old former Weather Underground revolutionary who returns in 2001 to tumultuous Liberia, where she’d left her three sons, her chimpanzee sanctuary, and the headless corpse of her vain husband 11 years previous. During her exile, who did Hannah miss the most? ”My only confidants,” she coos. That’s right: the chimps. She’s an emotional cripple, a fossilized version of Dian Fossey, and Russell Banks fails to make her or even her unsympathetic myopia compelling.
The Darling The Darling, the new novel by the author of The Sweet Hereafter, Affliction, and the great Continental DriftThe DarlingFictionRussell Banks The Darling, the new novel by the author of The Sweet Hereafter, Affliction, and the great Continental Drift2004-10-15HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Russell Banks; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!