The Darling, the new novel by the author of The Sweet Hereafter, Affliction, and the great Continental Drift severely disappoints. The problem: a bloodless narrator named Hannah, a 58-year-old former Weather Underground revolutionary who returns in 2001 to tumultuous Liberia, where she’d left her three sons, her chimpanzee sanctuary, and the headless corpse of her vain husband 11 years previous. During her exile, who did Hannah miss the most? ”My only confidants,” she coos. That’s right: the chimps. She’s an emotional cripple, a fossilized version of Dian Fossey, and Russell Banks fails to make her or even her unsympathetic myopia compelling.
The Darling The Darling, the new novel by the author of The Sweet Hereafter, Affliction, and the great Continental DriftThe DarlingFictionRussell Banks The Darling, the new novel by the author of The Sweet Hereafter, Affliction, and the great Continental Drift2004-10-15HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Russell Banks; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted October 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!