The 82-year-old Portuguese Nobel winner crafts his latest novel, The Double, around ”this extraordinary, singular, astonishing, and never-before-seen case of the duplicate man.” One lonely night, depressed history teacher Tertuliano Maximo Afonso pops a stupid B movie into the VCR and is shaken to find his exact physical double — identical, he later learns, down to the fingerprint — playing the bit part of a hotel clerk. Don’t be daunted by JoséSaramago’s famous 18-page paragraphs and page-long sentences. Oh, all right, be a little daunted. But that garrulous omniscient narrator — droll, delightful, persnickety, philosophical, always second-guessing — actually steals the book from the story’s two carbon-copy protagonists. Saramago might’ve dug deeper into the premise than he ultimately does, but a last little twist, delivered in a final paragraph of a mere two pages, is delicious.
The Double The 82-year-old Portuguese Nobel winner crafts his latest novel, The Double, around ''this extraordinary, singular, astonishing, and...The DoubleFictionJose Saramago The 82-year-old Portuguese Nobel winner crafts his latest novel, The Double, around ''this extraordinary, singular, astonishing, and...2004-10-15Harcourt
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jose Saramago; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted October 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- 'American Gods': First look at Kristin Chenoweth as Easter
- Stars rally behind Leslie Jones after website hack
- Bob Odenkirk to write book on life, 'Better Call Saul,' 'Breaking Bad'
- Bella Thorne to produce Lifetime vampire flick
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...