It’s been two decades since we last saw Thomas Covenant, a modern-day leper traveling between our world and a parallel realm of magic, creatures, and arcane language. Now the hero of Stephen R. Donaldson’s landmark fantasy saga returns in The Runes of the Earth, the first of four books that will complete the Covenant series (whose first six titles have sold 10 million copies). Why the delay? Donaldson, 57, says that he just wasn’t good enough to finish the story at the time. ”I had an encounter with my own limits…. I needed to stretch and grow as a writer before I tackled this final installment, so I turned to other storytelling ideas,” he says. ”One thing led to another and suddenly it was 21 years later.” In the meantime, Donaldson wrote 10 other books and enjoyed his life in New Mexico — though he’d rather not say exactly where, a lesson learned after a zealous young reader dropped by while the author was writing the second trilogy 25 years ago. ”This kid hitchhiked from Iowa with his backpack and arrived at my door, assuming that he could live with me while I taught him to be…me, ” he recalls. ”I practically had to drive him away from my doorstep.” With Covenant back, Donaldson might have to lock his doors again.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- The first trailer for Season 11 of 'The Bachelorette' is here
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty
- 'Pan' release pushed to October from July
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!