It’s been two decades since we last saw Thomas Covenant, a modern-day leper traveling between our world and a parallel realm of magic, creatures, and arcane language. Now the hero of Stephen R. Donaldson’s landmark fantasy saga returns in The Runes of the Earth, the first of four books that will complete the Covenant series (whose first six titles have sold 10 million copies). Why the delay? Donaldson, 57, says that he just wasn’t good enough to finish the story at the time. ”I had an encounter with my own limits…. I needed to stretch and grow as a writer before I tackled this final installment, so I turned to other storytelling ideas,” he says. ”One thing led to another and suddenly it was 21 years later.” In the meantime, Donaldson wrote 10 other books and enjoyed his life in New Mexico — though he’d rather not say exactly where, a lesson learned after a zealous young reader dropped by while the author was writing the second trilogy 25 years ago. ”This kid hitchhiked from Iowa with his backpack and arrived at my door, assuming that he could live with me while I taught him to be…me, ” he recalls. ”I practically had to drive him away from my doorstep.” With Covenant back, Donaldson might have to lock his doors again.
Posted October 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Maria Menounos named co-anchor at 'E! News'
- 'The Fighter' actor Sean Malone dies following drowning incident
- Alyssa Milano and 'Hacktivist' writers dish on comics and technology
- Lupita Nyong'o to star in New York play written by 'Walking Dead' star
- Bikini Kill will release three new songs
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' creators on ... another sequel?
- Ivan Reitman releases statement on 'Ghostbusters' franchise
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!