Sports nuts have Dave Barry, Midwesterners have Garrison Keillor, and the rest of us — gay guys, misfits, those with horrific childhoods — have Augusten Burroughs. We cherish him. And he, perhaps inadvertently, fosters codependency by sharing his every embarrassing thought. But something miraculous has happened in Burroughs’ fourth book — he’s happy. He has a boyfriend! A flourishing writing career! (And fans who feel compelled to respond to his candor by sharing naked photos and childhood tales of forced enemas.) Burroughs is still endearingly neurotic and self-centered in Magical Thinking, lobbing tart throwaways at his dating prospects (”A spiritual gay man simply means he has a yin/yang tattoo on his ass, which you can be sure has had electrolysis”) and Ernest Hemingway (”The only Hemingway I’ve ever been remotely interested in is Mariel”). Thankfully, there’s one trait he retains from his alcohol-hazed advertising days: He hooks you into a story better than anybody.
Magical Thinking Sports nuts have Dave Barry, Midwesterners have Garrison Keillor, and the rest of us — gay guys, misfits, those with horrific childhoods —...Magical ThinkingNonfictionAugusten Burroughs Sports nuts have Dave Barry, Midwesterners have Garrison Keillor, and the rest of us — gay guys, misfits, those with horrific childhoods —...2004-10-15St. Martin's Press
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Augusten Burroughs; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted October 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sesame Street's' Maria is departing after more than 40 years
- Casting Net: Michael Ian Black and Missi Pyle sign on for 'Slash'
- Blood Orange releases Charleston-influenced song 'Do You See My Skin Through The Flames?'
- Rihanna has done something no one else has ever done
- Chumbawamba launched Kickstarter for I Get Knocked Down documentary
- Lifetime greenlights flick about Charles Manson gals
- 'Graceland' first look: Watch Johnny help Sid escape
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Beyoncé, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift & More!