In Chris Bohjalian’s nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough is accidentally shot and crippled by his 12-year-old daughter, Charlotte. Who deserves the blame? Spencer’s brother-in-law, a weekend hunter, who carelessly left the rifle in the trunk of his car? Charlotte, who was stoned when she pulled the trigger? Would she have been stoned if her self-righteous daddy paid as much attention to her as he did to, say, the plight of the lobster? Bohjalian (Midwives) has built a rich and complex family drama around this knotty, unanswerable set of questions. But his depiction of Spencer’s animal rights colleagues — a ruthless bunch of emotionally stunted zealots who want to exploit the tragedy for their cause — belongs in a far less nuanced novel, as does the pat, treacly conclusion.
Before You Know Kindness In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...Before You Know KindnessFictionChris Bohjalian In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...2004-10-15Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Chris Bohjalian; Publisher: Random House
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Average movie ticket price drops to $8.12 in first quarter
- On the Books: Drax the Destroyer of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' gets his own comic book
- Watch the new music video for Jamie xx's 'Gosh'
- Lifetime is making an unauthorized 'Full House' TV movie
- Watch the first trailer for 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'
- Brian Williams might have misremembered a few more incidents
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Who will miss Janos on Game of Thrones?