In Chris Bohjalian’s nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough is accidentally shot and crippled by his 12-year-old daughter, Charlotte. Who deserves the blame? Spencer’s brother-in-law, a weekend hunter, who carelessly left the rifle in the trunk of his car? Charlotte, who was stoned when she pulled the trigger? Would she have been stoned if her self-righteous daddy paid as much attention to her as he did to, say, the plight of the lobster? Bohjalian (Midwives) has built a rich and complex family drama around this knotty, unanswerable set of questions. But his depiction of Spencer’s animal rights colleagues — a ruthless bunch of emotionally stunted zealots who want to exploit the tragedy for their cause — belongs in a far less nuanced novel, as does the pat, treacly conclusion.
Before You Know Kindness In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...Before You Know KindnessFictionChris Bohjalian In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...2004-10-15Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Chris Bohjalian; Publisher: Random House
Posted October 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What To Watch Tuesday: Raise a glass to 'Drunk History'
- Stephen Colbert mocks Trump's sniffles with cocaine joke
- The 7 hardest debate punches
- Donald Trump slams Rosie O'Donnell during debate
- Dictionary calls out Trump for saying 'braggadocious' during debate
- Trump-Clinton debate: Celebs react
- 'Law & Order: SVU' producer dings Donald Trump during debate