In Chris Bohjalian’s nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough is accidentally shot and crippled by his 12-year-old daughter, Charlotte. Who deserves the blame? Spencer’s brother-in-law, a weekend hunter, who carelessly left the rifle in the trunk of his car? Charlotte, who was stoned when she pulled the trigger? Would she have been stoned if her self-righteous daddy paid as much attention to her as he did to, say, the plight of the lobster? Bohjalian (Midwives) has built a rich and complex family drama around this knotty, unanswerable set of questions. But his depiction of Spencer’s animal rights colleagues — a ruthless bunch of emotionally stunted zealots who want to exploit the tragedy for their cause — belongs in a far less nuanced novel, as does the pat, treacly conclusion.
Before You Know Kindness In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...Before You Know KindnessFictionChris Bohjalian In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...2004-10-15Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Chris Bohjalian; Publisher: Random House
Posted October 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cassandra Clare reveals cover for new Shadowhunters novel 'Lady Midnight'
- James Bond kills supercut: Shocking, positively shocking
- What we learned from the 'Pretty Little Liars' Comic-Con panel
- Hear that amazing Kelly Clarkson 'Already Gone' cover from this week's 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Justin Bieber reveals cover art for new album, 'Purpose'
- See the cover for 'Eligible,' Curtis Sittenfeld's 'Pride and Prejudice' retelling -- exclusive
- Sony prez says hacked emails had nothing to do with Amy Pascal's departure