In Chris Bohjalian’s nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough is accidentally shot and crippled by his 12-year-old daughter, Charlotte. Who deserves the blame? Spencer’s brother-in-law, a weekend hunter, who carelessly left the rifle in the trunk of his car? Charlotte, who was stoned when she pulled the trigger? Would she have been stoned if her self-righteous daddy paid as much attention to her as he did to, say, the plight of the lobster? Bohjalian (Midwives) has built a rich and complex family drama around this knotty, unanswerable set of questions. But his depiction of Spencer’s animal rights colleagues — a ruthless bunch of emotionally stunted zealots who want to exploit the tragedy for their cause — belongs in a far less nuanced novel, as does the pat, treacly conclusion.
Before You Know Kindness In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...Before You Know KindnessFictionChris Bohjalian In Chris Bohjalian's nifty, book-club-ready novel, Before You Know Kindness, sanctimonious animal rights activist Spencer McCullough...2004-10-15Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Chris Bohjalian; Publisher: Random House
Posted October 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996